Monday, March 23, 2020

Words to Live By - A Reminder to Myself




This is a quote from Meghan Markle's now deactivated blog. It gives me an insight into the kind of woman she is and why she made certain choices which are in the news today. I don't mind reading this several times over, therefore I have taken the liberty to insert some of my own values as important reminders to me:


I no longer have patience for certain things, not because I've become arrogant but simply because I've reached that point in my life where I do not want to waste more time with what displeases me or hurts me. I have no patience for cynicism, bad manners, excessive criticism, sexism and demands of any nature. I have lost the will to please those who do not like me, to love those who do not love me and to smile at those who do not want to smile at me. I no longer want to spend a single minute on those who lie to me or want to manipulate me. I will not work for those who show a lack of professionalism or do not value my expertise enough to pay my work its worth. I will not tolerate passive aggression and sarcasm. I will not be dehumanized by those who lack phone etiquette. I have decided not to coexist anymore with pretence, hypocrisy, dishonest and cheap praise. I do not tolerate selective erudition nor academic arrogance. I do not adjust either to malice or to popular gossiping. I hate conflict and comparisons. I believe in a world of opposites and that is why I avoid people with rigid, inflexible personalities. I will not accept any form of proselytizing or prejudice regarding race or colour. In friendship, I dislike the lack of courtesy, of sensitivity, of loyalty and betrayal. I do not get along with those who do not know how to give a compliment or a word of encouragement. Games of one-upmanship and scoring cheap points bore me, as do easy generalizations. I have difficulty accepting those who do not like animals. I have a problem with those who enter my home and do not treat me or my property respectfully. And in addition to everything, I have no patience towards those who do not deserve my patience.

Agree to disagree is reserved for things like, "I don't like coffee". Not racism, homophobia and sexism. Not human rights, not basic common decency. If I unfriend you during this, it IS personal. We do not have a difference in opinion, we have a difference in morality.
~ Liz on Twitter

No comments: