Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Redoing Rome. A Postscript.

 
















I did visit Rome again as I promised myself I would, and this time, the second time around, I got it right. I celebrated as I should have four years ago and I did everything I wanted to do the first time around. Rome in autumn is magical and unforgettable.


The walk to the art supply shop Ditta Poggi. This early morning walk took me through all the magnificent sights of Rome, without the crowds and in pleasant weather. I could stop, pause and stare all I wanted to and every time I turned my head there was always something more magnificent to see.




And then, a proper walk exploring Trastevere, where I ogled at magnificent churches, explored the red alleys and ate the best gelato ever (Otaleg).


I went to Janiculum Terrace again. I replaced the older memories there with happier ones. I gave thanks for the completion of my second book and validated my first book as it should have been done the first time around. For these moments, that I could come here again and acknowledge how far I've come, I have only gratitude. These are the memories that will remain with me.



The power of Caravaggio in real and the breathtaking work of MC Escher



The dazzling Palazzo Colonna with its exquisite works of art will require several posts. 
I'll stop here instead at just two pictures. Can you believe I saw Caravaggio, Escher and the art inside Palazzo Colonna all in one day? But that's Italy for you, crammed to the brim with centuries of art, in palaces, spilling out casually into the streets, scattered on the walls of bars and restaurants, art is everywhere.






























I have not done justice to Palazzo Colonna with two pictures, but I wouldn't even know where to begin, and to blog the experience here would take an entire month or two of documenting solely this. So I will simply leave it here and end with a picture of me with my smile after my walk at Trastevere. I am glad my friend insisted on taking a picture of me. I am beaming. And this happiness is pretty much what my experience in Rome gave me this time around. I have many, many happy memories and much gratitude. 



No comments: