Friday, December 4, 2020

Up in the Hills

 Sometime in December, I went off to spend time with friends in Mussoorie and Landour. I got my very first glimpse of the Himalayas from the plane and I was enthralled. I got acquainted with words phenomenons like "Winterline" and tried to draw new shapes (mountains) in my sketchbook. I also ate loads and loads of pork and had to beg for simple vegetables with my meals. I used a walking stick to walk even a few kilometers because that is a necessity when you live in the mountains.




The spectacular Winterline where hot air gets trapped beneath cold air 
causing this beautiful phenomenon.


Landour Bakehouse (below) with the classics - 
Delicious Chicken Tikka croissants and Rose Cake. 
So good. 


Sketching the Himalayas in Chakkar in Landour





Apart from the desperation to get out and about, this holiday made me remove my Montreal woolens from the recesses of my wardrobe and wear them. I was still very cold however, until my friend simply threw her mother's sheepskin shawl over me and I was instantly warmed. As Henrik Drescher told me, "It is not how much you wear but what you wear!". When it comes to weather, Bangaloreans don't know very much.


Beautiful pageants around fires are something completely new to a Bangalorean's eyes!



Below, gorgeous treasures picked up during treks around the mountains.


When people like Thoreau spoke about walking amidst nature to rewire the mind, I don't think he meant a walk at the local neighbourhood park, not even Lalbagh, although it can be a good substitute if there is nothing else, but what a healing, soul-cleansing experience it is to walk in a proper forest. How blessed and beautiful is Jabarkhet Nature Reserve.



Many thanks Sam and Bussu for this memorable holiday.










No comments: