Sunday, April 5, 2020

Bologna


I have now learnt that in any trip to Italy, a visit to Bologna is imperative and it should come last. If you put Bologna somewhere in the beginning of your itinerary, the rest of the food you eat in all other places will simply never ever compare and it can kind of dampen your trip because whatever you eat anywhere else, however good it is claimed to be, you will keep thinking, "Ah but this tasted so much better in Bologna!".


While the names of a lot of Italian food is familiar to me, I would not have had a very good idea what it really was or how it should be eaten, so I booked a rather expensive food tour with a 5 star rating and rave reviews and caught an early train from Rome to be in Bologna on time. When I landed at Bologna at 8am, I went to a café and ordered a Mortadella sandwich and a coffee, and that was my first taste of Bologna mortadella and it was so exquisite and so good that had I not enlisted for a food tour I would have eaten another.



Bologna has all the things that I love - deep, warm hues of red, pink and orange, arches and of course I needlessly say it again, the best food ever.  (I would rate the food we get in India as very good, as good as any you will get anywhere in Italy, except for Bologna which is a class apart, a small glimpse of what food in heaven must taste like if we do our good deeds to get there).



The food tour was an excellent one where I got a taste of everything I needed to taste including perfect al dente Spaghetti, different cheeses with balsamic vinegar, a slice of horse meat, wines and the best of all, Gelato at a place called Santo Stefano where I died and went to heaven and would have happily stayed there. No other Gelato will equal what I ate at that place.



After the food tour I wandered through the arched alleys, basking in the warm hues and then stopping for more coffee and desserts, each one a small masterpiece. How lucky are people who are born and live in Bologna and who have their lives revolving around the food there. It was with some reluctance that I caught my train back to Rome all the while fervently promising myself that I would return to Bologna once more.






.
.
.
.
#bologna #italy

No comments: