Monday, August 17, 2020

Class

 


One of the many things I've learned during this pandemic is how to make an InDesign cover.

The illustration I've used is one from my book of course, but I thought it would work very well for what I am reading at the moment - My Body and Other Stories. I had read the first story called The Husband Stitch in Granta before I bought the book and it was intense. A key element in that story is the green ribbon. Rather than drawing the green ribbon and incorporating it into the illustration, I've chosen instead to use the element  in the design by using a cursive font and the colour green. I was told that people buy a book, sometimes even a second time only for the cover. Would you pick up this book and buy it if it had this cover?




 The other thing I learnt to do in InDesign is to draw this egg below for an unpublished book with an imaginary title. It was one of the first things I did and I enjoyed making it.

 

The InDesign classes conducted by @sukrutianah are during weekends on Zoom. Each class is one saturated hour. I realized much to my bemusement that the screens of my fellow classmates suddenly going blank is absolutely normal and they are still listening. I once made a comment about the Harry Potter movie being better than the book and the blank screen of one of my classmates expressed outrage.  We are from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bangalore respectively and the experience is  great. Thanks to this course I actually opened InDesign on my computer and started using it.






No comments: