Thursday, September 10, 2015

I am Elephant


This illustration is for my mushroom hunting friends who will be leaving their forest in Sutton to live in Montreal. I drew this picture so that Aaney the Elephant and champignons will be with them wherever they go.

Since returning to Bengluru I find I cannot quite remember whether one has to say le elephant or la elephant (something all students of French will agree has caused them to bang their heads on their Francaise textbooks and die), so when translated from French, the words within the bubble in the picture read ‘I am Elephant’. Aaney of course is the word for elephant in Kannada, the language spoken here.

The card was meant to be a surprise but since it has been well over two weeks since I posted it and since I am fed up with waiting for the package to reach I have decided to put up the picture on my blog.

Ashte

4 comments:

Julie said...

Priya, your package came in this morning! We didn't notice there was a card until I saw your post and thought about looking IN the book (a thousand thank you by the way, can't wait to read it!). Your Aaney is beautiful and will accompany us wherever life takes us next. He or she looks very wise and very well surrounded by all of our favorite mushrooms.
Hugs and kisses from the both of us
PS: Nicolas will drink your Indian coffee this morning. ;-)

Priya Sebastian said...

My pleasure Julie :-)
I marvel at the timing of my blog post and the package reaching you.

Anonymous said...

We should all be so fortunate to be blessed with at least one friend like you. You are thoughtful and generous, kind and considerate, a simply you.

Priya Sebastian said...

That is very high praise Limner, but it is my friends in Sutton who should be described with those adjectives. I am fortunate to have them in my life.