Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Dream House

I know I express myself mostly in Black and White and my existing house is a nest of muted shades of burnt orange and dark brown, but I have to admit to you, my ardent blog readers, that this is a sham I have been living till now. Yes! A sham!
I am an Indian, an inhabitant of a vast and chaotic subcontinent. What this means is that  beneath the surface of every Indian, however diverse we are and however sophisticated we seem, there flows in us, red, hot, shiny, glittering Indian blood which carries with it its penchant for loud music, bright jewellery, extra sweet food, gaudy clothes, blaring automobiles and other forms of  exaggerated expressiveness. Suppress it all you want in the name of ‘Westernization’ or ‘being cultured’(whatever that means), but the true Indian form of self expression periodically bursts forth in any one of these varied ways. If you don’t agree, my dear Indian reader, you are in denial! (And you are probably a snob as well).

I was sick and tired I tell you, sick and tired of blog posts which feature yet another samey samey ‘Dream House’ with its cream coloured walls and earthy tiled roofs and shelves of carefully arranged cutey cutey knick knacks. Therefore during a ride outside Bangalore this evening, when I saw this house in its halo of neon hues, I screeched ‘Stop!’ scrambled out and started clicking away. 
This is it! This is my dream house! One day, in the not too distant future, I will build one of these for myself in the heart of the city, in a neighbourhood full of bland white houses and defiantly live within my glorious towering psychedelic concoction.


And finally, my dream house has some gasp worthy neighbours who deserve to be shared here too!


:)

ps (14/7) : While we are still on the subject of colour, if anyone of you wondered what the insides of these houses must be like, to aid your imagination I add here below a picture from the studio of a former college mate. Every single wall in his two storey studio is a different colour. I am not exaggerating one bit and I repeat - every single wall a different colour. Here is a picture of just two of those walls:


20 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

You're a hoot Priya, I tell you! The second photo in particular has pressed my intrigue-button. Gorgeous photo!

Kamini said...

I totally agree with you! We need more color!!! Where are these fabulously painted homes in Bangalore???? I love them all but the orange and green is my fav.

mumbai paused said...

:) Har ghar kuch kehta hain

megha puNAter" said...

gorgeous look at that green and pink (with orange)
simply superb, what a find priya
i don't mind building one right next to yours in hot pink ;)

Dithi said...

Hahahaa, you know I couldn't agree more, my love for on-your-face colour couldn't be more obvious after you've seen my work. These houses reminded me of one of dad's eccentricities, he loves (or at least, used to love) getting walls painted in the boldest and most shocking colours :). The yellow is my fav.

GB said...

Spot On, Priya!!! Love color, the more in-ur-face, the better! white walls and cottag-ey houses work for colder climes I guess- they need the illusion of light, but I can't help but gravitate toward color....can't wait for my own house to start painting the walls crazy! :)

That green staircase- gimme!
and *giggle* on the cultured/snob observation.

Sophie Munns said...

Fabulous Priya....
how wonderful!
More please!
Sophie

Domestic Goddess said...

Lol.....they must b looking so beautiful and stand out....My fav the yellow one. thanks for sharing. A good eye opener.....would love to build one myself...

Sharon said...

goodness gracious me! what a bold statement!

Anonymous said...

Well, those people know how to live.

Owen said...

Hi Priya,
I'm a little late getting here, work is nuts these days, but I love this post, and wish you all possible success in getting to live in your dream house...

If you'd like to see a few other examples of my dream houses, just go here, and then scroll down :

http://magiclanternshowen.blogspot.com/search/label/Dream%20House

Enjoy !
:-)

Purnima@a creative project said...

Beautiful green building..sure is a bold statement! In Europe I see so many beautiful pastel colored building every where..I am surprised people don't paint their homes with bright colors... especially the westernized Indian;) and the last pic with the 'head' lamp is awesome!!

Unknown said...

Color! I love it, and I love your confession. I too, drive by boldly colored homes and may be known to say out loud, "how obnoxious", while secretly envying the bravery of painting a house in such bold hues. (and I am not even Indian, but a decedent of Scandinavian blood.)

Anonymous said...

Colour is the best thing that ever happened to us. Hate beige, cream with all of my heart.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Wow!! it is like living in a rainbow...

George said...

Your blog is fascinating, Priya. Much to read and think about here, but the photos of the brightly colored houses take my breath away! In my country, we seem to have a great fear of color, at least in architectural terms. Thanks for enthusiastically sharing this part of your world.

ksam said...

Fantastic! Just reminds me of Kermit the Frog, The Witch from the Musical Wicked...all lovely shades of GREEN!

ksam said...

Fantastic! Just reminds me of Kermit the Frog, The Witch from the Musical Wicked...all lovely shades of GREEN!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Inspires me to do a story on coloured walls, which I wanted to. Most architects however say that this is a trend in South India. I wonder if they do so much colour in the North! I am from Bangalore BTW.
Thanks.

Chandan said...

The houses all remind me of the brightly painted Kerela trucks...come to think of it, I'd lke to live in a truck..