Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Empty Family


I turned and moved fast, focusing swiftly on a wave I had selected for no reason. There was whiteness and greyness in it and a sort of blue and green... It had an elemental hold; it was something coming towards us as though to save us but it did nothing. Instead, it withdrew in a shrugging irony, as if to suggest that this is what the world is, and our time in it, all lifted possibility, all complexity and rushing fervour, to end in nothing on a small strand, and go back out to rejoin the empty family from whom we had set out alone with such a burst of brave, unknowing energy.

~ extract from one of the most beautiful and haunting short stories I have ever read -  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That photo mirrors the emotion of the quote. You have a gift of putting words and image together that I love, Priya.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh yes Priya, I understand what you mean... very haunting.. and like the vastness of the sea...